Tuesday 21 January 2014

Si En's Weaning Diary: Vegetable Soup Stock

Everytime I'm cooking this, I feel like I'm a witch brewing a cauldron of potions away. Haha!!!
Anyway, I simply love to stock vegetable stock in the house as Si en's always coughing and she has to abstain from chicken.  So I thought I'll just let her have double boiled chicken soup on days that she's not coughing instead. 

I find soup stock very useful in weaning kids, especially cooking porridge or using for stir fries.  I guess not many kids would reject a much more flavorful soup?

Here's my recipe for the stock:

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 Leeks(white part)- Slice into chunks
2 Stalks of celery- cut the stems into chunks
1 Large white onion- Cut into slices
2 Large Carrots- cut into slices
2 Corns- I like to slice of the corn kernels from the kob as I find it much sweeter
10 dried mushrooms- pre-soak
4 Tomatoes- cut into chunks and remove seeds
2 Litres of water

Method:
- Heat oil, saute the onion, celery, carrot, leek.  
- Place the remaining ingredients into the pot and boil for 2hours
- Sieve the soup and set aside for cooling
- After cooling, u can place in stock bags or ice cube trays to freeze and store. 

Here's how I keep my soup stock:


After I've discovered the thermal pot, I've changed to using a thermal pot to boil the soup stock instead.
For thermal pot, usually I'll boil over the stove for about 20mins at night and place it in the outer pot to let it boil overnight. 
Wake up the next morning and boil it for another 20mins. 
About noon time, when my girl naps then I'll take it out to cool and store.
Maybe you might want to consider working around that timeline if you're usually busy with work or handling the child alone like I do. :p

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I have tried this soup and it very sweet to add to my daughter porridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. U're welcome. By the way, the stock could also be used to cook noodles soup or as a base for stews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Can i use a slow cooker instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanna, yes you can also use slow cooker. Boil at high heat den switch to low heat to simmer for 2hours will do too.

      Delete